Noisy Fireworks No Fun for Pets

photo-1437482184784-6d2e6d6e8844

When celebrating Canada Day this year, remember that fireworks displays are no fun for pets.

The loud, unpredictable noise and flashing light from fireworks can be a source of stress and anxiety for many dogs and cats. As well, the metals and chemicals used in the manufacture of fireworks can be toxic if consumed by a curious pet.

The Saskatchewan SPCA suggests keeping your pets indoors on those evenings when fireworks are planned in your area.

Before the fireworks start, turn on the TV or play soothing music. Running the air conditioner or fan is another option.

Draw the curtains to help minimize exposure to noise and light, or take your pets to the basement, as far away from the unpleasant sounds as possible.

You might also consider providing a distraction for your pet such as a favourite toy or food treat.

Pets naturally seek small, enclosed spaces when they are feeling stressed. If your pet enjoys being crated, that may be a good option. Your cat may want to find her own special hiding space under furniture or on top of a cupboard.

Make sure your pets are microchipped and licenced, in case they manage to escape.

Your veterinarian may have other useful suggestions for a severely anxious pet.

One final note: Remember that noisy outdoor concerts and public events can also be very stressful for your pet.

Filed Under: